If you’re a fan of lasagna, you’ll absolutely love these Easy Lasagna Cups.
The lasagna cups are a simple recipe that will delight young and old alike. These meaty, cheesy, tasty morsels are perfect for a snack, appetizer or anytime meal.
You get home late from work, and the question is “What’s for dinner?” You open the refrigerator and see wonton wrappers, leftover ricotta cheese, leftover meat sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
The answer is clear – these delicious Lasagna Cups.
There are several reasons to make these tasty morsels:
- They are super simple to make, and kids of all ages absolutely love them.
- They can be made ahead of time and either reheated or frozen.
- They make a tasty snack for those on the go and are just as good at room temperature as they are heated.
- They are delicious – need I say more?
Easy Lasagna Cups
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
24 wonton wrappers
1 cup ricotta cheese, preferably homemade
2 cups of your favorite meat sauce, preferably homemade
1 1/2 cups (6-ounces) of shredded mozzarella cheese
¼ cup (1-ounce) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Freshly minced parsley or chives for garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 375°F
Brush cups of a regular sized muffin pan with vegetable oil.
Layer Lasagna Cups in muffin pan as follows: Wonton wrapper, 2 teaspoons ricotta cheese; 1 tablespoon meat sauce; about 1 tablespoon mozzarella cheese; wonton wrapper turned 90 degrees; 2 teaspoons ricotta cheese; 1 tablespoon meat sauce; about 1 tablespoon mozzarella cheese.
Sprinkle each lasagna cup with one teaspoon of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Bake at 375°F for 10 to 15 minutes until cheeses are melted and wonton wrappers are golden brown.
Remove from oven and cool at least 10 minutes. If desired sprinkle with freshly minced parsley or minced chives.
Remove Lasagna Cups from muffin pan and serve.
Yield: 6 servings.
- I always shred my own mozzarella cheese. The reason is that the pre-shredded cheese contains a coating that impacts both the flavor and the melting.
- Homemade ricotta cheese is superior to the store-bought variety. You can make your own ricotta cheese by heating 2 cups of milk, 1 cup of heavy cream and ½ teaspoon of Kosher salt to boiling. Once boiling, add 1½ tablespoon of white wine vinegar. Stir and let sit for a minute. Then pour into a cheesecloth-lined strainer and allow to drain at for 20 to 25 minutes. For full instructions on how to make ricotta cheese visit pudgefactor.com/ricotta-cheese.
- You can use your favorite meat sauce in this recipe. If you’d like to learn how to make my favorite meat sauce, visit pudgefactor.com.
- After about 10 minutes in the oven, watch the lasagna cups closely. If the wonton wrappers are getting too brown, cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- The Easy Lasagna Cups can be baked ahead of time and reheated at 350°F for 10 to 15 minutes. They can also be frozen and reheated later.
Chula King is the blogger behind PudgeFactor.com.
Never miss a story: Subscribe to the Tallahassee Democrat using the link at the top of the page.